Send enquiry to Year Round Lawn Care Tips
Year Round Lawn Care Tips
No matter what time of year it is, there are things you can do to keep your lawn in tip top condition. It’s outside your home in all weathers, and even if you only use it in the summer months, it’s a good idea to show it some love so that it’s in prime condition when those brighter months come around.
Here’s a very brief lawn care calendar guide on how you can help your lawn through the year.
JANUARY LAWN CARE
• Winter lawn care is very minimal.
• Try to keep off your lawn while it’s frozen to avoid damage.
• Get your gardening tools repaired, sharpened and serviced.
• If you are considering new turf, start investigating prices and types.
FEBRUARY LAWN CARE
• Check your lawn for lawn diseases, such as fusarium patch and red thread.
• Avoid sowing grass seeds.
• Only lay turf if the ground is completely defrosted.
• Spike your lawn to aerate it.
• If weather permits, mow the tips off the lawn, but don’t cut it.
• Stock up on lawn feed – you’ll need it in March. You can purchase from our shop.
MARCH LAWN CARE
• Spring lawn care is mostly preparation work for summer.
• Rake the lawn to remove debris and keep the blades upright.
• Mow the lawn, but no shorter than 5cm.
• Re-seed any bare patches of grass.
• Spray liberally with lawn feed and moss killer if necessary. We recommend Nutrifusion Spring/Summer Lawn Feed, which you can buy from our shop.
• Check your moss killer doesn’t double up as lawn feed – overdosing the lawn is not recommended.
APRIL LAWN CARE
• Mow the lawn as frequently as you like – fortnightly is ideal.
• Level any lumps or bumps in the lawn.
• Set the blade at the height you want your lawn.
• Adventurous mowers could add stripes to their lawn (See our guide: http://www.qlawns.co.uk/lawn-striping)
MAY LAWN CARE
• Remove the dead thatch from your lawn with a scarifier.
• Rake to remove moss.
• Spot treat any weeds which may appear with weed killer, or just dig out.
• Roll and mow any newly seeded areas when the grass reaches about 5cm.
• Water newly seeded areas once a week.
• Mow frequently, and remember to feed with a spring/summer feed formulation, such as Nutrifusion Spring/Summer Lawn Feed, which you can buy from our shop.
JUNE LAWN CARE
• Continue regular mowing – do not let it grow long and then harshly chop it back.
• Enjoy using your lawn for outdoor activities.
• Water lawns in the evening, to stop the water evaporating in the heat of the day.
• Apply fertiliser if the lawn starts to look yellow.
JULY LAWN CARE
• Summer lawn care is all about helping the lawn with the heat.
• Water new turf regularly, but not established lawns.
• Reduce mowing frequency to help lawns cope with the summer heat.
• Feed the lawn with Nutrifusion’s spring/summer formulation, available in our shop.
• Treat any ant nests with ant powder.
AUGUST LAWN CARE
• Edge your lawn with an edging tool.
• Check for weed growth and treat or dig out invaders.
• Start looking for thinning patches which will need treating in the autumn.
• Keep areas which will be re-turfed free of weeds in preparation for turf.
SEPTEMBER LAWN CARE
• Autumn lawn care involves preparing the lawn for the coming winter.
• Cooler temperatures mean the lawn can be left to grow a little taller.
• This is the best time to lay turf as natural water from rain is abundant and roots will grow quickly.
OCTOBER LAWN CARE
• Remove autumn leaves with a rake or lawn mower with grass collection box.
• Add any leaves to your compost heap.
• Aerate and scarify your lawn to help control moss. See David Hedges-Gowers' book "Modern Lawn Care" for helpful information.
• Feed the lawn with an autumn/winter formulation, such our favourite, Nutrifusion Autumn/Winter Lawn Feed, available on our site.
• Repair lawn edges.
NOVEMBER LAWN CARE
• Keep removing the leaves and add to the compost pile.
• Reduce mowing frequency to prepare the lawn for coming winter.
• Aerate the lawn once more to help with drainage.
DECEMBER LAWN CARE
• Continue clearing leaves and debris from the lawn.
• Feed with Nutrifusion’s autumn/winter formulation, which can be bought from our shop.
WHERE TO FIND GREAT LAWN CARE ADVICE
However you handle your lawn care, keeping on top of the regular maintenance which your lawn requires will ensure that you have a beautiful lawn throughout the year. Lawncare may be something you need to learn more about, so we recommend David Hedges-Gowers' comprehensive book Modern Lawn Care. As the author is the UK’s leading lawn expert, this book covers everything you’ll need to know, and answer all your questions about making the most of the grass in your garden, whether it’s a small patch of grass or acres of gorgeous green